Here are some answers to our most frequently asked questions.
If you can’t find your answer here, feel free to reach out to us via our contact us page.
Where can I buy SpaceBeams glow in the dark paints?
Amazon is a great place to buy as it provides a world-class shopping experience which is tough to beat elsewhere, and for us as a UK based company, they enable us to sell globally using their reliable fulfillment network. When buying our paints on Amazon you automatically get all their awesome customer satisfaction guarantees as well as ours. To buy our paints on Amazon, click here and then choose the county flag for the Amazon marketplace you wish to purchase from. IMPORTANT: When buying our paints on Amazon, in order to ensure you receive a genuine SpaceBeams paint, be sure to only buy from our Amazon seller account name: ‘PandoraStocks Ltd‘ – there are no authorised re-sellers of our paints on Amazon, so if you purchase from a different seller name on Amazon, you may not get a genuine product.
So if our paints are available globally on Amazon, why would you purchase direct from us on SpaceBeams.com? Well, there are a few good reasons…
- Price – Amazon is a huge marketplace and any brand ultimately needs to be on there to reach the majority of online shoppers. However, Amazon charge a lot of expensive fees to sellers which raises the end price to customers. This is most noticeable on lower priced products such as our paints. So at the end of the day, buying from us direct will always get you the best price, period.
- Shipping Options – Amazon is famous for it’s fast shipping and free shipping options. However, they may not always ship to your country or location – there is not yet an Amazon marketplace in every country. So buying from us direct will let you receive our paints where ever you are in the world. Simply choose your county at checkout to get a live shipping quote to your input address for the items in your cart.
- Guaranteed Genuine Product – Shopping online has gotten a lot better over the years, but there are still many people out there trying to make a fast buck online and it’s unfortunately still relatively easy to get caught out as a shopper. Counterfeit products is always an issue, even on Amazon. So buying direct from us will ensure you get the real thing. It should be noted that buying from our seller name on Amazon (PandoraStocks Ltd) will also guarantee a genuine product of course.
- Volume Discounts – As we are the brand owner and manufacturer of our paints, we can offer some high volume discounts when dealing with us directly. Simply get in touch with us for a custom quote if you need a sizable volume of one or more of our paints.
Where do you ship to?
We will ship our products to anywhere in the world! Our stock is held in and shipped from the United Kingdom.
To get a shipping cost, simply proceed to the shopping cart after adding items, then enter in your shipping address and click ‘calculate shipping‘ to see your shipping options and costs.
Where is SpaceBeams based?
‘SpaceBeams‘ is a brand owned by the UK based company PandoraStocks Ltd. You can contact us here if you’d like to ask us something 🙂
Who do I contact for customer support?
Ordered directly with us on SpaceBeams.com? ….
Simply contact us directly for any queries you may have. You can reach us via our contact form here.
Ordered on Amazon? ….
For Amazon order fulfillment related support issues, such as returns & delivery enquiries, please contact Amazon customer support directly. They fulfill our Amazon based orders for us and will only deal with Amazon shoppers directly to resolve these kind of issues. Here are the Amazon support links for the different country marketplaces:
However, for any other questions not related to Amazon order fulfillment, you can reach out to us via our contact form and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
What sizes/volumes of paint are available?
We currently offer our paints in these bottle sizes:
- 20ml (0.68 fl. oz.)
- 50ml (1.7 fl. oz.)
Please contact us if you need larger volumes.
Can I buy in larger quantities?
If you wish to purchase larger quantities of Aurora paint, please get in touch with us via our contact form.
Are other colours availible?
At this time we offer the following colours:
We plan to release new colours as we experiment and find ways to create other colours with the same strong glow performance as our existing colours. We’re only happy to release a colour when we feel it is the best performing for it’s particular colour.
What Colour is Aurora?
When not glowing, Aurora is an off-white creamy colour with a green tint. When glowing, Aurora is a bright green luminescent colour.
Can a paint’s glow colour be changed?
Unfortunately it’s not possible to change the colour of our glow in the dark paint’s glow effect. The reason is that the actual particles that give off the glow effect do not absorb added colour pigments. However, if you’re just looking to change the colour of the paint under normal lighting (not the glowing colour), this can be done with some success using ink from highlighter pens. We made a blog post here showing a video sent in by a SpaceBeams customer who used this technique.
What is the lifespan of the paint and it’s ability to glow?
If looked after, your SpaceBeams handiwork could last decades and successfully maintain it’s ability to glow well.
How long does the glow in the dark effect last?
How long the glow effect lasts depends on two key factors:
- How thick your application is, and…
- How well charged-up it is.
Given the right circumstances, our paint can glow well for up to 24 hours! (See our 24 hour time-lapse here). However, the glow is at it’s most strongest for the first few hours. After a few hours, when the glow lessens, you may need to let your eyes adjust to the darkness more in order to see how well it is actually still glowing. For example, after washing your hands from painting with Aurora, you may think you have no paint left on your hands, but if you wake up in the middle of the night don’t be surprised to see glowing specks of dried Aurora still on your hands! Even these tiny, almost invisible specks of Aurora paint on your hands will still have a visible glow many hours later. They appear bright enough because your eyes have fully adjusted to the dark.
Can I use SpaceBeams paints on skin?
While SpaceBeams paints are non-toxic safe when in contact with skin, we do not recommend them to be used on skin because a purpose made body-paint would be better for this. SpaceBeams paints are not intended for this use and so may irritate some skin types. You can test a small area to check first, but even so, we recommend finding a more suitable glow in the dark body-paint for this use.
Why are SpaceBeams paints so thick?
Straight out of the bottle, SpaceBeams paints are fairly thick in consistency. This can be surprising at first, but it is deliberate and for a very good reason. SpaceBeams paint’s superior glows are due to a higher concentration of the particles which create the glow effect. When developing our paints we found this created significantly better glows. Other brands dilute their paint too much which negatively affects their ability to glow. SpaceBeams paints are water-based and so keeping them thicker/more-concentrated out of the bottle gives you more options… You can either keep it thick for increased glows, or if you need a more liquid consistency for detailed work, you can simply thin down with water. Thinning happens quickly, so add only single drops of water at a time until the desired consistency is obtained. SpaceBeams paint’s will still dry in the same way and the glow will not be negatively impacted – especially if multiple layers are applied to ensure a thick final application.
Why do I not get a strong glow effect?
There are a few key factors which can greatly effect how well glow in the dark paint will glow, and each situation can be a little different. Check the points below to find the solution for you:
- As with all glow in the dark paints, thickness of your application will make a big difference. A thin layer will mean less particles are present for holding a charge and giving off a glow. We recommend applying as thick a layer as possible (3mm+). If you have watered down your paint when painting, this rule applies even more so (apply multiple layers).
- Glow in the dark paint requires good exposure to light during the day in order to properly ‘charge up’. If the paint is in too dark a place, the glows are likely to be fairly weak.
- UV light is far superior at charging glow in the dark paint, as opposed to home-lighting bulbs. So exposure to sun light will make a huge difference (and the longer the better). It doesn’t necessarily need to be in direct sunlight, but close to a bright and sunny area should be sufficient.
- If the area you’ve painted is not near a well lit area during the day, you may need to manually charge up the paint using a flashlight. A strong standard flashlight will work for this, however a UV flashlight will work significantly better. Pointing the UV flashlight’s beam directly on the painted area for 15-30 seconds should provide ample glow (the amount of time required will vary based on the strength of the UV flashlight).
- SpaceBeams paints can actually glow for a very long time (up to 24 hours), but after the first few hours the glow will be more subtle (the length of time for the glow to become more subtle will vary depending on how thick and how well charged up it was). So after a few hours, when the glow is more subtle, if you’re coming from a bright area and your eyes have not yet adjusted to the darkness, it may not be as easy to tell if it is still glowing because your eyes have not adjusted to the darkness. So, as simple as it sounds, always wait a minute or two to allow your eyes to adjust to the dark.
- Painting on a lighter background color, or using a white undercoat, can make a difference to the appearance of the glow. A dark background may dull the glow a bit. However, if your application is a decent thickness (3+mm), this shouldn’t be an issue. Although a white undercoat may still be beneficial in some situations.
What is the best way to charge-up a glow in the dark paint?
UV light is far superior to other light sources at charging glow in the dark paints. If where you have painted is not near a well lit area from natural sun light, you may need to manually charge up the paint using a UV flashlight. A UV flashlight will actually improve the glow effect in most situations. Pointing the UV flashlight’s beam directly on the painted area for 15-30 seconds should provide a strong glow for many hours.
Can SpaceBeams paints be used outside?
SpaceBeams paints are actually pretty hardy by themselves. To give an example, we entered some rubber duckies, painted over with our Aurora paint, in to a charity river-duck-race, and after a few hours in a pretty rough river, zero Aurora paint had come off at all! So this was a good test for Aurora’s durability outside in extremely wet conditions. However, we still recommend a clear coat varnish over the top to ensure the longest lasting application possible when used outside. Be sure the clear coat used doesn’t block UV light as this could impact glow performance.
Can SpaceBeams paints be thinned down?
SpaceBeams paints are water based and so they can be easily thinned with water. Simply place some paint in a small container and add single drops of water, stirring each time, until the desired consistency is obtained. Our paints thin quickly so only add water drop by drop. They will still dry in the same way and work just as effectively. Thinning can be useful for detailed work, and some other applications, where a more runny consistency may be helpful. When thinning it’s important to note that the final application still needs to be thick (ideally 3+mm) to get the best and longest lasting glow effect.
Will SpaceBeams paints work for gun sights?
Yes, we’ve had a number of customers contact us to say they’ve had great success, especially with Aurora, for their gun sights.
Do SpaceBeams paints work on glass?
Yes, our glow in the dark paints work and adhere well on glass. As always, ensure the surface is as clean and dry as possible before applying the paint.
How long does it take to dry?
The amount of time it takes our glow in the dark paints to dry will vary depending on how thick you’ve applied them. A very thin layer will dry in 15-30 minutes, a medium thickness will dry in 30-60 minutes, and a very thick layer (3mm or more) may take up to 2-3 hours to dry.
Are SpaceBeams paints water resistant?
Once fully dry, our paints can hold up against water fairly well. However, if it is continuously exposed to water it would be best to varnish over with a clear cost to ensure a longer lasting application. Try to use a clear coat without UV blocking properties.
Are the paints non-flammable?
All our paints are non-flammable.
Are SpaceBeams paints invisible or clear during daylight?
If applied very thinly, our paints can be harder to see when against light-coloured backgrounds. However, they are ultimately opaque and not clear, so they may only appear invisible due to being applied so thinly. Plus, to get the best glows, they need to be applied thickly (3+mm) and when they are thick their opaqueness means their daylight-colour will be fully visible, which for most of the paints is an off-white with a slight tint of their glow colour.
What is in SpaceBeams glow in the dark paints?
Strontium oxide (SrO) is present as a major constituent, alongside oxides of other elements such as aluminium and europium. All our paints are safe, non-toxic, non-flammable and water based. Even the bottles can be recycled!
Are SpaceBeams paints non-toxic?
Yes, all our paints are non-toxic.
However, as with all paints, you must NOT ingest SpaceBeams paints, get them near your eyes, mouth or a sore, and children MUST be supervised when painting with them.
Do you need UV light to get it to glow?
UV light is not required to make glow in the dark paint glow, however UV light is far more effective than a standard light bulb. UV light also needs significantly less time to ‘charge up’ the paint and creates a stronger, longer-lasting glow. For a decent UV LED flashlight, just 15-30 seconds of exposure to the UV beam will provide a very strong and long lasting glow.
Can SpaceBeams paints be used on shoes or fabrics?
Yes! We’ve had quite a few customers use SpaceBeams paints on shoes/clothing with great success. Check out the customer photos on our Facebook SpaceBeams page for some great examples.
Can SpaceBeams paints be mixed with other acrylic paints?
Mixing our paints with other acrylic paint does dramatically lessen the glow performance unfortunately. We’ve experimented with this a number of times, and we’ve found you really have to keep Aurora separate from being mixed with other thick and opaque paints (especially dark colours). It’s possible to blend SpaceBeams glow paints in while all the paints are still wet, and as long as a good amount of the SpaceBeams paint remains un-mixed in the process, it can still glow effectively. You can actually see an example of this on a SpaceBeams blog post where we painted eggs for Easter and mixed/blended Aurora with other (quite dark) acrylic paints. On the eggs Aurora glows well, but as soon as it starts to blend/mix with the other paint, the glow lessens considerably. The post can be found here.
Can the packaging be recycled?
Yes, once you’ve cleaned out the bottle and cap, they can be recycled and put in the plastic recycling bin.